Moths and Cats are very much opposite in terms of how they (Currently) go fast

Moths - reduce ALL drag as much as possible; very light boats, flat sails, and foil to reduce water drag by flying. Current Moth trends are to more aero efficieint boats; suggestions that more speed will be found by using different foils for different wind speeds (Big foils to fly in lighter wind and small foils to fly more efficiently in bigger winds - do not need so much lift as you WILL have more speed, thus smaller foils, thus faster as less form drag)

Cats - Long thin hulls - so "normal form drag rules do not apply". Wide boats to gain rightling momentand so more power and so drive boat fast.

Now, my thoughts are documented on how we COULD make cats faster (opposing foils to create RM).

How might we develop cats to foil without using opposing foils?

1, boats need to be LIGHT to remove drag from creating loads of lift to fly -> Small boats
2, boats need LOW air from drag -> small boats
3, once a boat is flying, we need a low drag (and low power) rig as form drag is low, thus as we do not need lots of power, we do not need lots of RM to control it ->Thin boat once airborne as less aero drag
4, as we do not need lots of power once foiling, we do not need wide (and so draggy) boats ONCE FOILING, but we need a boat that can create RM when needed, but have low form drag when flying - We need wings!
5, Small, not very wide boat, but with wings to create RM when needed = MOTH!

IMO, the Moth IS is "dinghy" solution to foiling. Cats will ALWAYS have MORE form drag. Could we design a boat that was low drag (but never as low as a Moth), that thus had more power that can be used.... I'm not sure.

My view is that the way to make cats considerably faster is to create RM as per "Blue Arrow" with opposing foils mounted mid hull to create RM and thus allow huge power to be carried.

One issue with the moth is that currently they foil in about 8kts true. below this they are dog slow, above this they are VERY quick.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here