Let us know how you end up doing it I'm curious.

I like the extreme 40 system described by Kennethsf:

* it's elegant,
* it reduces the compression on your mast by half
* You can inspect the state of the halyard where the jammer grabs it every time you raise the sail and fix the issue by cutting an inch of it
* you can buy a cheap halyard and just splice in a short length of expensive high-tech no stretch halyard. Or just live with the cheap halyard, after all it is only going to stretch over a feet or so...

There are downsides:

* you will need two lines inside your mast. The small control line and the halyard. With all the fouling risks it involves between the two.
* you will need to setup a way to lock the control line under tension to lower the main.
* the jammer is all the way up there at the top of the mast, preventive maintenance is your friend!

Also, your halyard with the cover destroyed is not wasted yet. From the break in the cover to the main head just remove the cover; Milk the cover at the bottom of the halyard back in place then bury it inside the vectran (taper it well, and I'd probably lockstich it as well, just to be safe), cut 5 to 10cms from the top so the easylock grabs on the cover when the sail is all the way up.

Nice looking boat BTW.