The boat was designed and built by Malcom Davy, a Kiwi in Kelseyville, CA, whose buisness if primarily boat restoration. But he's had some offshore experience on multihulls, and the kind of guy alway intrigued by a great idea. He built this boat to try out a bunch of construction technique and design concepts. He built a 24'cylinder mold, created 4 hull halves, joined them deck and keel, and tortured the bows and sterns into appropriate shapes. The boat has assymetrical daggerbds, one side dead flat, that need to be switched each tack/jibe. A rotating wing mast constucted out of wood/epoxy(and now a carbon wrap, long story!). A unique pod that runs down the center of the tramp between the main and rear beam that provide great storage. It continues fwd of the main beam and gracefully tapers into the spin pole. Deck launch assym spin and a furling screacher that make the boat a light air monster. When first completed the boat weighed 600 lbs, but then Malcom added the pods, and added material to the sterns to reduce their dragging. And I've probably added 50 to 75 lbs in repairs/reinforcements. Might be at 800 lbs now, still mighty light for a 24' boat. He built it light knowing that he'd find the weak points in time. Although he didn't sail it much, and that job has fallen to me. Amazingly balanced for a boat designed by the seat of the pants, the dggbds and rudders work beautifully together, light helm. I sail the boat solo most of the time, a true rush flying a hull on a boat this size.
Pepin, I too like the elegance of the clutch at the top of the mast. But I don't think I have the room up there. The mast tapers near the top, and the main hlyd exits maybe 3" from the top. I'd have to re engineer the top of the mast to get the room and solid anchoring for a clutch, maybe a future project.
I hope to return to Flathead this weekend and rig something, sailing season is drawing to a close for me, and every weekend is precious. I'll take some pics for futher consultation. I truly enjoy getting to benefit from all the input you guys offer!