I have spent the summer rebuilding a H16 that I "aquired" for nothing from a tow yard that was happy to be rid of it. FHP found it abandoned on the side of the interstate several years ago and had the tow company remove it. (Hence the name Road Kill!) Anyway, no title, no previous registration, no known prior owners. To complicate matters my starboard hull was shot so I bought a pair (before the law took effect) on Craigs List. My boat therefore has two HIN's! Now I'm trying to be a good citizen and get it titled and registered.

I've already decided to forget the whole two HIN issue. That would really short circuit some poor clerk at DMV! A little sanding and a coat of paint, which I'm doing anyway, and I only have one HIN to worry about. A representative from the tax collectors office has assured me that they would accept a "letter of origin" from the tow company stating how they came to have it and would issue me a title since the boat has never had one. I'll let you guys know how it goes...