Originally Posted by AV8RSailor
A representative from the tax collectors office has assured me that they would accept a "letter of origin" from the tow company stating how they came to have it and would issue me a title since the boat has never had one. I'll let you guys know how it goes...

Over the years I have come up with a few simple rules for registering boats that were never intended to be registered.

First, these groups are paramilitry, meaning you have to do the paperwork their way or redo it their way. There are no other choices.

Second call up the correct office in your state. Lay out the whole story and ask them what you need to do. WRITE DOWN THE NAME OF THE PERSON WHO TOLD WHAT TO DO.

THIRD, Do whatever they told you to do, even if you think it is silly or worthless. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE. For example, Texas wants a tracing of the hull numbers. On a Marstrom, the hull number is written on a piece of paper, laminated to the inside of the hull with epoxy. A tracing shows nothing. If you bring a picture instead of a tracing, they will make you bring the boat to them so they can make a tracing(see #1)You can have a picture or a drawing in addition.

Four, make up a folder with what they want. Go to the office or branch that you called and try to get the person you talked to. If you can't get the person you talked to tell whoever you are talking to, so and so told me to do this.

Five Give them the stuff they wanted. Hold the extra stuff back. Don't give it to them unless they want it. Don't tell them anyhing they don't want. Be friendly and nice but don't run your mouth. (You don't know all the rules, you may have broken one).

Good Luck you will need it.