Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

My understanding is that signing this statement means essentially that I was told that sailboat racing has risk.

My understanding is that it means a little more than that.

My legal advisors tell me that You can't waive liability by signing such a form.

I'm not an expert in tort law, so I don't have a competent opinion. If you've paid for legal advice, go with that. If the advice was free, you know how much it's worth.

Nevertheless.... every regatta has this kind of release statement... Why? I haven't a clue.... but don't want to be the one to take it off the entry form.

Clubs are trying to limit their liability exposure. Without some legal protection, they wouldn't run races at all. Regardless of how well the waiver actually protects them, I don't believe they will disappear.

Now the USSA prescriptions are a real piece of work that confuse me every time I read them. The relationship between my personal integrity in agreeing to "be responsible", my insurance company, and my competitor who was damaged is really difficult to understand.

What prescriptions are giving you problems? The racing rules are a topic I've studied and perhaps I can help explain them.

Regards,
Eric