Originally Posted by andrewscott
...if you foul someone in a race ... can you do an on the course correction? if yes, what is required?

First of all, take a look at the preamble to the rules "Basic Principle - Sportsmanship and the Rules". It says:
... A fundamental principle of sportsmanship is that when competitors break a rule they will promptly take a penalty...

Therefore, if you believe you have fouled someone, you should take a penalty, whether they protest or not. If you aren't sure, then it's perfectly ok to see if they protest you. Check rule 61 "Protest Requirements" also. It says:
a boat intending to protest shall inform the other boat at the first reasonable opportunity. When her protest concerns an incident in the racing area that she is involved in or sees, she shall hail 'Protest' and conspicuously display a red flag at the first reasonable opportunity for each...

Now, there are some exceptions, and the sailing instructions may add additional requirements, but that is the basic notification requirement. Note that the protesting competitor has to say the word "protest". You can't say "you owe me turns", or "you broke a rule", or "you fouled me". You have to say "protest". If your boat is 6 meters or longer, then you must fly a red flag. If you don't do both of these without delay, then your protest is invalid.

Now, about exoneration, look at rule 44. Rule 44.1 says:
A boat may take a Two-Turns Penalty when she may have broken a rule of Part 2 while racing...

The sailing instructions may change the penalty, or offer an alternative penalty, but if they don't then a boat may usually exonerate herself by making two turns as described by rule 44.2:
After getting well clear of other boats as soon after the incident as possible, a boat takes a One-Turn or Two-Turns Penalty by promptly making the required number of turns in the same direction, each turn including one tack and one gybe...

I hope that helps,
Eric
US Sailing Certified Judge,
Member, Area D Appeals Committee