I first started racing in the largest, most active class of cats in the USA.., the Shark Catamaran. My buddy and I picked up the boat at the backyard dealer, who asked if we wanted to race with their Shark Fleet at Mentor Harbor YC, in Mentor, OHIO that weekend. We, of course, did.
We were DEAD LAST.
Had a great time, however, and vowed to get better. I followed around the Wells Family (father, Bill, daughters Mary and Betty), for two years and always kept my eye on how and why they did things. Then at the keg kept asking questions.
In a little over a year, they won the NAs and I took 3rd with my son, Dave (who is a top sailor in the Nacra 6.0 and Wave).
No, I did not quit just because I was last, and probably didn't have the best equipment. I was last because this was all new to me, and I had a helluva lot to learn.

Mark, sorry you don't see us anywhere near you, but Waves are thriving, with new fleets popping up all over the place. And once in the class, it seems sailors really fall in love with the boat and the class.

Who makes it up? Well, a good many of the sailors were once teams on Hobie 16, 18, 20, Prindles of all sorts. Now the guy and gal each have their own boat and race against each other.., and both usually with a lot of success.
Lots of older people: We started out with the Masters at age 55, but most of the fleet was there or better, so we raised it to 60 and are looking to go to 65.
We have made tremendous attempts at getting youth involved, as it is a great training boat. We cannot claim much success along that line, however.

Again, IWCA is the ONLY ACTIVE Wave class. We are not dividing anyone. Anyone from HCA is welcome with open arms. Unfortunately, that feeling is not reciprocal and there is where this thread began.

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com