Originally Posted by waynemarlow
Originally Posted by scooby_simon
Originally Posted by H17cat
We are going up to Whistler for Spring Break in April. Hope they let us ski the Downhill Course at Creekside. But, by then, the lower runs will probably be closed, with lack of snow. Upper runs should be OK.

Of course you'll be able to ski the RUN they use (assuing enough snow).

I've skied loads of runs that are used for the downhill; the Ollies hill in Val D'isare (Face) is truly scary at speed....

In Europe they only close the downhills and slalom areas off if there is forth coming event ie in the next week or so. Best time is just after an event when it is still groomed and every nutter on the hill is trying to emulate the racers. Been on a number of trips where the party piece is to put a small GPS into someones pocket for the day and see who has the fastest speed of the week, best I've seen on a friends 10 second average of 142kph. Met an old acquantance from Scotland who had taken up speed ski ing as a thing to do, had broken the 110mph barrier and was well chuffed with himself, now that sort of speed sounds scarry.

As to poles and thumbs, as Simon would tell you either no straps or fit the strap properly with the strap coming up into the palm of the hand rather than over as most people think. Get it wrong and it will dislocate the thumb every time.

I've a plot showing speeds over 70MPH; next step is 80,90 and then the magic 100MPH.

Last edited by scooby_simon; 02/23/10 08:25 AM.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here