Hi all,

I would like to attempt to dispel the myths around the Mosquito with Spinnaker/F16 connection as I guess I have been mostly the reason why there is any connection. blush

From the start Mosquito's with spinnaker where included in F16 class to bolster numbers and where never expected to perform as an outright F16. As a result they have allways been recognised as a sub class at F16 events. In fact apart from the first year when there where no out right F16's, Mosquito's have always raced for there own class trophy in the Victorian F16 titles. smile

Yachting Victoria has always recognised the Mosquito with spinnaker as it's own class, the Mossie with spinnaker already had it's own Yardstick for some 2 years, before I approached Yachting Victoria to establish a Yardstick for the F16 and I can tell you now the performance of Mosquito's with spinnakers, was never taken in to account in establishing the yardstick for the F16.

What people don't seem to come to grips with is that F16 is a Box Rule class, like A class, as such it is open to any existing class that fits with in the rules or in the case of the Mosquito is "Grandfathered" (or invited to join the class).

Consider this, A class is a new class starting up and they invite Mosquito's or Taipans to race in A class, (I beleive they fit the A class box rules). Just like the Mossies with Spinnaker in F16, the best Mossie sailors could probably beat some of them also wink . But it would not make your Mossie or Taipan an A class, just because you raced with them. Any more than it makes a Mosquito with Spinnaker a F16, as the Mosquito with spinnaker was recognised by Yachting Victoria (given a yardstick) before the F16 was recognised and this continues to be the case, as each year the YV yardsticks have been adjusted and still recognise Mosquito with spinnaker as it's own class. grin