I haven't put a spinnaker on my boat either, I'm not opposed to the idea but I find the Mozzy interesting enough to sail downwind without one provided there are waves and enough wind to surf them, fortunately there usually is enough of both here. No one else has them locally either and we still race triangles. The cost of fitting one to an older plywood boat could well exceed the value of the boat so I can understand why our fleet in South Aus, with its predominantly ply fleet, has been slower to adopt then Vic which has many more "new" boats. I think the class has been clever by introducing the spinnaker in parallel to our normal sailing activities without forcing members to make a choice, just means those with spinnakers get another big regatta (Vic spinnaker states) which looks enticing to those of us without them and therefore builds numbers of attendees each year.

Wouldn't even consider sailing downwind 100 metres without putting the kite up on my Flying Fifteen no matter how much wind.

Did the South African Mozzy fleet go for the square top mainsail?

Darryn

Last edited by Darryn; 04/29/10 01:58 PM.