What I see here are people arguing over what classes, and what categories (gender) should be sailed which are representative of catsailing worldwide.
If the IOC has asked that equipment be affordable and easily accessed to all participating countries, then that dictates a SMOD approach like the laser. If that is the deciding criteria then ISAF would do well to choose off-the shelf classes like Laser, H16, 49er, etc. This is not my preference, but we should put our preferences aside if we`d like sailing to stay an Olympic sport. Perhaps H16 with spinnaker is not the worst possible choice and will satisfy IOC requirements in this regard.
Macca and others who are afraid that the H16 or F16 will drive the weight down to 120-130kg are only seeing it from their own perspectives. Why does the pinnacle of sailing have to have big burly competitors ? Sailing is not weight-lifting - countries who do well at table-tennis (ie small-built eastern people)may become the new Olympic sailing heroes. It has happened in windsurfing already.
If countries with bigger people on average want to compete then maybe they have to change their perspectives, and send teenagers or mixed crews to meet the desired weight targets. Teenagers such as those who won the F16 Europeans would be well-suited to the "new" Olympic sailing criteria, which is a good way to keep sailing in the Olympics - you don`t see 45year old gymnasts in most Olympic sports, so why do we keep them in sailing ? This is part of the reason sailing has no appeal to the viewing public.
If heavyweights want to compete then they will have to choose women or teenage crewmembers.
SO perhaps the 2-person boat selection should cater for a lightweight crew, which will in itself dictate that it be open to men, women and youth, with no false rules dictating that mixed crews are a requirement. This will happen as a result of the boat choice.
There is a reason the F16 & H16 have more mixed and teenage crews than the F18 - the ideal crew weight for the F18 does not promote mixed crews, and teenage crews must carry weights, and become uncompetitive in strong breeze. So choosing an 18-20ft boat dictates that an all-male crew is preferred. In my head this would not be an ideal situation for ISAF to present to IOC.