Originally Posted by frozencdn
Thanks again everyone, I have some thinking to do. And allot more research. I can't make it down to the keys but thanks for the invite. I am sure it will be a blast! I was there last Feb, awesome. I will check back for more posts later but I have to go for today.

All the best, Gord

This board is about as impartial as a discussion of the merits of communism delivered by someone standing atop Lenin's Tomb during the annual May Day Parade.

I'm an a-cat sailor and I say A-cat! The guy wants a fast, slick, singlehander. They just don't get any better. When I first got my a-cat I thought I would have to downshift my attitude to live with the downwind legs without a spinnaker. One trip up and down my home lake with a 12knot breeze and I couldn't quit giggling like a grade school girl. The hulls go through the water like razor blades and, dear GOD, the acceleration! You feel every change in the wind. If you only care to single hand and you want speed and finesse. A-cat. Period.

I sail an 11 year old Boyer MKIV I bought for $7k and I have won regattas with some not-so-shabby competition handicap or straight up against newer a's. I've placed top half of the fleet for the last two years in Islamorada (which is probably where my ability is) with the 3rd oldest a-cat in the fleet. It is possible to sail an older a-cat competitively.

Jake Kohl