I was told not to mess with the A or F16 because they break too easily. And cost too much to repair. But that sounded like sour grapes? Think so?

That is nonsense. I can only speak for the F16's, but feel the A's are less fragile that most think. The F16's however are impressively robust for boats that lightweight. In fact, the data I have seems to put them on a par with heavier boats like the I-17 and Hobie FX-one. None of the modern boats are tanks like the H16 and all suffer occasionally from a deck splitting or something. Most of these boats are hand build and sometimes the workman has had a bad night of sleep. However, the design behind the F16's is good and you will not break them easily during sailing. Rocks and submerged containers are a different matter but no modern racing cat will bump into those and take it in its stride. That is the difference between a 200 kg boat and 100 kg boat. Repair costs are pretty standard too. Summarizing; if you take some care with your boat then you'll be alright. If you neglect it often and throw it about without a care in the world then no modern cat is suitable for you.

We know this as we have had some pretty darn rough condition over a series of F16 events and 8 years of sailing/racing them in all conditions.

And ohh, never leave an Acat or F16 unattended and unmoored to the ground. They are so lightweight and their wingmasts are so powerful that a reasonable gust of wind will flip them over (even if the mainsail is not hoisted).

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 01/10/11 07:00 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands