Why debate your personal choice of the kind of racing you prefer. I think it's a moot point. IF you had a perfect world and could switch from a portsmouth fleet over to a large active one design or formulae fleet with the kind of performance you are looking for (along with your friends) without loosing money. It would be a no brainer.

This is not reality. We have 2 and 3 boat fleets of similar but not identical designs. (F18, and Inter 20's).
The interesting debate is What to do now? Continue as we are or begin to make changes. It seems to me the debate should try to develop a consensus of how to move forward. We continue to suffer steady decline in the racers and we should consider dramatic changes in how we do buisness.

Here are two extremes:
For example:
Jeff Alter proposed that Hobie focus on 16's and Tigers as the racing classes. You could argue (He does not make this arguement) that Hobie fleets should de emphasize or eliminate all of the other classes at regattas so that the racers are persuaded to moved into one of these two classes if they want to race. This solution will strenghten one design racing of catamarans for two man teams.

I propose the other extreme. I propose that we should group the boats in similar portsmouth divisions (EG Hobie 16,Prindle 16's, Hobie 18's irrespective of turnout numbers ) and then split out one design scoring. I suggest that you leave the one design racing for a very limited number of national events.

There are lots of solutions in between these two extremes. If your fleet runs a regatta What should your fleet do and why?

Your participation supports some kind of a program. What will you support.

Some yacht clubs on the Chesapeake restrict the classes that they support in racing (Similar to the first proposal). Other Yacht clubs support the handicap racing solution of proposal 2.

Take Care
Mark

crac.sailregattas.com