I got a speedpuck and a prostart. I install them on my spin pole halfway between the beam and the place it goes below the stays. When I sail two up with the jib it barely clear the top of the speedpuck. I think that on modern F18 with high aspect jibs and a self tacker there is not enough space there.

I like both but I prefer the speedpuck:

• The prostart is big. If you have a jib you're going to struggle to find a place to put it on a beach cat
  • I'm afraid to lose the prostart. It doesn't have a hole to secure a line to it and its support can unlock if a line gets wrapped the wrong way around it. Unlikely but possible.
  • Due to its placement I can't reach the buttons on the prostart to mark the start line and start the timer, this makes the added complexity of the prostart useless as I only use the speed and the lift/header indicator anyway.

The prostart is a really nice improvement on the SC-1, fixing all the issues the SC-1 had with the buttons, it's slick, easy to read and easy to use.

The only issue really is where to put it so you can press the buttons! What I want now is a remote I can attach to my buoyancy aid to pilot it from anywhere on the boat...

If you want to try a S10, a SC-1, a SpeedPuck or a ProStart just come to Datchet (next to London, UK) for our Fast Cat Open (19/20 March) and ask me for a loaner.

Disclaimer: I was provided the devices free of charge by Velocitek as I wrote part of the Mac software used to talk to the device.