Originally Posted by John Williams
Puk it - the simplicity of the puk is what makes it so useful. Use speed or heading on the display combined with the header/lift graphic; one quick glance is all it takes and trends are very evident. The download is gravy for the debrief. The fun is everyone displaying max speed at the end of the day and dropping it on the tramp to see who pissed biggest. I love my Puk.

What he said. I use mine to also satisfy the compass requirement for distance racing. I also have a GPS on me, but in general messing with it while driving is bad. Can read the big numbers at a glance. I took the $$ route and bought two, and stuck one on either side of the boom. Can easily hit the buttons to switch modes, nothing up front to hang on stuff. I've added the velcro to the cabin sides of my F-27 and use the dual Pucks there too - can't see the instruments from the floats, can see the pucks... There are some sweet tacking brackets that folks come up with to mount aft of the mast.

I have an SC-1, and it's nice but it never helped out much on the 20. We had a bracket that mounted to one side of the front beam. During Tybee the salt spray continually changed the settings, and then a wave took it off the velcro. Got to it as it went bouncing along the tramp. Another time at the end of an Annapolis-Oxford a spin set got a line on it and flung it up in the air and overboard. Man overboard! So the velcro can be defeated, lash things if you don't want to lose them.