1) I think Tybee can be sustained on a year-year basis IF properly advertised. IMO this is the weakest link on the race organizers part, publicity seemed pretty much non-existent last year. Without publicity, people don't know about the race, the sponsors have no reason to advertise and it becomes a non-event.

2) A race like the Worrell cannot be maintained on a year to year basis and frankly becomes difficult to sustain financially without a major title sponsor (say Puma, Volvo, BMW etc). Its simply too draining financially on the teams and too big of a time commitment to happen every year. I could see every other year, maybe alternating with Tybee if that race is deemed unsuitable for year-year racing.

3) The volunteer issue is a major one, which is one of the reasons a big name sponsor is needed for a Worrell type event. If Chuck can bring his crew back next year, which I suspect he will, there will be proof that a bi-annual volunteer run event can happen.

4) Boats for charter seem non-existent, or nearly so. I think the best bet is to bring a manufacturer on board, they can charter the boats for the week and sell afterwards (similar to Alter Cup). I'm not sure if this is financially viable or not, but it is a proving grounds for the robustness of the platform so there is some benefit from an R&D standpoint.

One of the other issues is the N20 class is dieing, and many have jumped to the F18 fleet which is growing yet there is a lack of interest in distance racing the 18's vs. the 20 footers. The next boat I see myself buying is likely an F16 as I am moving to an area with a large fleet (14). In order to do Tybee/Worrell type events, I would either hit the lottery so I can buy 2 boats, do a boat swap before the event, and/or simply buy a 20 footer and crew on the smaller boats.

Last edited by samc99us; 03/26/11 05:59 PM.

Scorpion F18