Don't the euro "chaps" have a different work/sail schedule? We 'mericans are too greedy (or in debt) to stop working to enjoy the thrill of sailing, much less racing.

I'm personally split almost equally between the two disciplines. I enjoy bouys for the close boat-boat interaction, short range strategy, and if I screw up somewhere, I get a fresh start in about an hour. If things went sideways, it was easier to pull the boat out.

Distance racing, as you so eloquently put FoN, is an entirely different animal. The boats (and sometimes crew) are the only common denominator. Navigation, logistics, gear, training, and mental fortitude are skill sets that need a lot of development to go distance well. I don't think you'd ever face 5+ hours trapped out holding a spin sheet on one tack in huge seas in any weekend regatta..

I used to think I got beat up more in distance stuff, but today that's not always the case because teams go around the cans much more aggressively.

As far as costs go, would attending a 5 day regatta cost less than a 5 day distance race? Maybe a little cheaper since you wouldn't need as much ground crew or fuel at a buoy regatta...?

Those that do extensive campaigns in either (or both) disciplines could provide more on that note...

Nobody said racing was cheap...or easy.

While I drivel on about my personal opinions, I prefer three FL distance races (Hirams, MKL, Mug) more than the rest, primarily for these reasons (in order):
- there was a huge diversity of boats (multi and mono) which gave you lots to look at (and sail around)
- races could be completed in a day, usually with some free time afterwards to catch up with the other teams
- the navigation was relatively straightforward, but the strategy can be as complicated as you want

RTI pensacola, Everglades Challenge, and others like them have very similar appeal, with the exception that they demand more endurance because the distances are significantly greater.

Jay