I think there are a lot of good suggestions in here. Opening up some of the shorter/more convenient Tybee legs to outside boats sounds very doable and can hopefully show more people the distance racing scene without them committing to the full 500 miles. Of course, there still need to be enough boats entered to make it financially viable to hold the race in the first place!

Logistics packages like those offered by Velocity are great and what enabled me to do the race last year. Without the teams support, we would not have been able to finish the race, since we blew up several major bits (boom, rudder blade, pintails) over the course of the week. I think this is where manufacturers need to jump in-for example, I don't see an F16 making it through the race without 2 or 3 other same make F16's with lots of spares also doing the race or say Falcon Marine running up the beach selling parts along the way.

Finally, I would be interested to know what the cost of doing a Worrell "new style" (stopping at hotels everyday) versus a more "original" three man team non-stop sailing. I see the non-stop as being slightly cheaper as you cut the hotel costs in half but I'm sure more boat damage occurs and it is certainly riskier-but more fun.

Of the F18 owners that have considered the race, is safety a primary reason for not doing the race? I haven't seen this issue brought up, as IMO the race is as safe as ocean racing can be.

Scorpion F18