2 years ago, when I turned 50, I decided I wanted to "get back in shape". The last time I was "In Shape" was in college, runnig 6 miles a day, swimming 1/4 mile a day, lifting weights for two hours a day. So I had a long way to go and I'm not half way there yet.

First, I had to cut back on the Sailor's 4 basic food groups; Pizza, beer, cake and ice cream. I replaced those with Salad, apples, water and more water.

Yes, you will have to pee all the time but it does fill you up and it's low cal. I've dropped 20 lbs., only 20 more to go...

Next I got out the bike and started riding again. Not too much at first, but adding more miles every week, trying to put in at least one hour per day. Then I bought a curl bar and some plates, so I can lift at home, in front of the TV while watching...what ever is on. And I do a bunch of push-ups (3x40) and sit-ups (3x50), agian, in front of the TV, where I used to sit and eat junk out of boredom.

Last month I ran into a fried of mine at work, I had not seen in two years. He said, "Wow, you've lost weight! What did you do?"

I said, "I quit eating and drinking."

Yeah, it sucks, but that's the only way to do it. Stop eating and get off the couch (or Internet!).

I do feel better overall, but getting old sucks. I guess it beats the alternative.

Now I'm on my way out the door to do an hour on the bike. With my luck I'll get hit by a truck. I just hope it's quick and painless, at least my corpse will be...In Shape!

Blade F16