For what you want, I have to say it's G-Cat all the way. High free-board, high-bouyancy, boardless-yet-symmetrical hull design, very durable 3-beam design with dual trampolines and best of all... simple.

You can take it apart with two 5/16" (or was it 1/2"?) wrenches. The mast, mast beam, and rear beam are all the same straight section, the front beam is a H14 mast section.

The rudder system is extremely simple and effective, though parts are difficult to find for it. I'm looking to put a Hobie system on my boat next, as my stock system was wrecked after a nasty storm flipped the boat on the beach. The Dotan system I have now seems a bit unreliable (upper gudgeon keeps braking off).

I've seen G-cat 5.0Ms (16'8") carry 6 people easily, without even putting the hull stripes under and without detracting performance to intolerable levels. My G-Cat 5.7M (18'8") has carried 8 people in 15knot winds and 5' rolling seas and it carried on very well and lively.

When my friends and I go camp-sailing, I can toss my stuff on the front trampoline and go. My friends have things tied down all over and have to climb over it on each tack. Unfortunately, this leads to my boat carrying most of the 'comunal' gear (like the firewood, coal, and grill)....

I mostly sail mine alone, but I cannot right it solo yet. I'm planning to fit a righting bar soon, fashioned from a windsurfing mast. I'd recomend the 5.0M if you sail alone often in winds 10 knots or more- it will be easier to handle.

G-Cat 5.7M #583 (sail # currently 100) in Bradenton, FL Hobie 14T