Gary- It was probably me that was telling you about my previous problems with the Dotan system. Neither me nor my friend have been able to get the top gudgeon to hold up for very long. I even paid Ralf (of Bradenton Beach Boat Rentals) to install them and adjust them the last time. Afterwards I sailed in some heavy weather and had the boat going faster than ever before and it handled beautifully. However a month or so later the handling started to get worse again and then the upper gudgeon sheered off. This same thing happened twice to my friend on his P18-2 and he's now running a salvaged Hobie system. The Hobie system he's using must be 10-15 years old (and the rudders may be the originals- the look like crap) and it's already lasted longer on his boat that the Dotans. I'm hoping to have the same luck and end up with better parts availability. Hopefully I can sell my old Dotan system to some dingy sailors at the local sailing squadron.

Hans can seem to get anything to work out for him. I dunno how he does it, and I don't have his patience to keep mucking around with these rudders.

G-Cat 5.7M #583 (sail # currently 100) in Bradenton, FL Hobie 14T