My wife and I recently completed the watertribe's lake michigan challenge on a H21sc. 285NM around the top of the mitten from Oscoda on Lake Huron to Manistee on Lake Michigan. A spectacular experience!

This was our first multiday trip on the boat and so was somewhat of a shakedown cruise. Conditions were upwind for 4 of the 5 1/2 days with the last 3 days beating into 1-6 foot chop, winds 5-25+ kts. Bareheaded with dbl reefed main at the high end. We sailed past midnight on several days.

We found the boat to be sturdy and predicatble and appreciated the designed-in features for multiday cruising. Reefing/furling systems, storage, mast float, etc. No major surprises or disappointments. Wings provide a reasonably dry ride without trapezing.

We have easily righted the boat in calm conditions with 2 of us, without utilizing the shroud extenders and have had success in same conditions singlehanded (200 lbs) with a righting pole, again, no shroud extenders.

I have launched the boat singlehanded (w/beachwheels, no gear) on several occasions, but retrieving typically takes 3 or 2 plus some mechanical advantage system to negotiate berm, uneven ground, etc. The boat is too heavy for most crews of 2 to run onto the beach and drag up without wheels.

Criticisms of the boat:
A little more complex than it needs to be in terms of design and fittings.
A nose diver going into steep chop. I don't have experience on the newer higher buoyancy designs but I have to believe this could be improved. Slows, but doesn't prevent upwind ability.
Pointing ability, acceptable, but was hoping for better.

George VS

Hobie 21 SC