The Hobie 21 would be a great boat if it wouldn't be so darn right heavy; I'd stay away from it because even with the Hobie Bob on the mast, if you do flip it you'll have a tough time getting it back up. I'm not really sure if a boardless boat has that much of an advantage for you because of the type of water you'll normally be sailing in.

Fragile boats (e.g. Hobie Miracle) are usually not very beach friendly because they don't take the sand too well; you can't carry your beach wheels with you all the time. I've seen Mystere 6.0s racing in my area, but I'm really not sure on how tough they are because I always see them being moved around on beach wheels.

I live on Lake Erie, and sail there usually 50 days per year. Normally, I don't go out in anything over 18 knots, but we have been stuck out there a few times in weather over 25. I sail a Hobie 18 magnum (with wings) and found the boat perfect for the larger swells and surf. It's great at handling the heavier weather and easier to move around. The boards are not much of a problem; once you get in deeper water you drop them down. In our sailing area, we easily launch the boat off the beach without the boards, then wait about 1/4 mile to drop the boards. You do have some drift while beating, but you can make it easily.

I've seen the Nacra 5.8s and 6.0s do quite well in the heavier weather also, but the ride is a lot wetter than sitting on my wings.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

Wyatt