Come on. The rules of Part 2 "When Boats Meet" are only 6 paperback-size pages long. That's a lot shorter than the rules of little league baseball, and the kids don't have any problem learning them. It doesn't take a certified judge to understand the RRS, just a willingness to open the rule book and read. This is not a simple port/starboard incidient. In fact, Artemis is on starboard tack for only a small part of the encounter. Right-of-way changes twice. Please read rules 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16.1, 18.1(a), 18.2(c), and the definitions of "keep clear" and "room". Pay attention to the obligations rather than fixating on "rights".

The fact that a single scenario "when boats meet" requires 6 pages of rules is - by itself - ridiculous. Am I to recall and analyze 6 pages of rules and all the countless endless monotonous tedious lethargic coma-inducing examples every time I encounter another boat on the course? You do realize how silly it is that the "rules are only 6 pages" ... for a single "section" of the rules. I played many sports growing up as a kid. Football, Soccer, Tennis, Lacrosse.... NONE of them required me to read a rule book, much less 6 pages of rules.

Whats even more hilarious is that you've rattled off the number of rules that you need to keep in mind when crossing boats. I can't tell if you're trying to be facetious or its just coming off like that because its really hilarious to me. "Please read rules 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16.1, 18.1(a), 18.2(c), and the definitions of "keep clear" and "room"." Thats 2 definitions and 9 rules (with all of their implicit definitions) that I need just for when I get close to another boat. Am I to conduct this mental exercise before during or after I'm done with the 10 other things that I need to be doing just to keep the boat from flipping over?

Maybe you can think about all the rules scenarios in your head while you're doing all this. Personally, I've gotten by without hurting anyone by just ... avoiding situations where I know there could be trouble. Often at the expense of a place on the race course. (Thats not to say that I haven't scraped gelcoat before - I'm guilty as charged on that account)

The mere fact that we have an 8 page long thread on which boat broke the rules is in itself hilariously pathetic.