I guess cost of a OD boat in this case includes assumed cost of regattas which is the point of owning one. Anyway, its beside the point. You may be right about a great business opportunity but this is not a goal of mine. I didn't claim faster for less. Only "what i wanted". It might be faster, don't know yet.

Racks can be dangerous...So what? I agree a boat like the one you describe could be a nightmare but for this theoretical long race, where the goal is to finish. Pitch-pole causing racks don't make a lot of sense since pitch-poling and getting hurt is also not fast. All races have to have some rules. A simple box rule for multi's in a open style race where anything goes could weed out the crazies right? F18's and N20's pitchpole all the time given the right conditions. Is the only argument against an open format one of safety or liability?

Maybe compare to economics (as much as I hate economics) Run what you brung being akin to a free market. Innovation, interest, unique solutions, tinkering. All things sailors can't get enough of.

But like I said, have an OD "class" sure for those who like to race man to man. In the end, 30 or 40 boats with an open class too is better than 10 OD's right? Were talking about interest here.