As I said before it's not up to me. As far as having a box rule, I'm not against that either, I sail an A cat and love the development. I've also got some plans and a bunch of parts to steroid up a N-20. I do know for a fact if you open everything up the mainstay racers on "normal" boats will say screw it. It's a race for a cash prize. If it was my race and my decision to make ,I'd have an unlimited class (run what you brung rule/ box rule) that was not eligible for the prize or a portion of it based on how many there were( assuming entry fees make up the pot), and an OD class that has to meet a minimum rating( like Steeplechase, so it's timely and not a 3 week race) that would compete for the prize or the other portion.

Is the only argument against an open format one of safety or liability?

That's not my argument at all. My argument is you drive away more competitors than you get.As an example, Many of the stock F-18 guys (and there's alot of them) are not going to race straight up against a F20c or M-20 tricked out with racks ,custom sails and other goodies. The track record shows they should ala GT-300 (Sorry Mike wink ) but alot would not even attempt it. For me it would be about numbers. Historically OD distance races have had larger numbers than open development races. It's just numbers. I'd love to see the machines that would come out of such a race (open) but unless I was on one I wouldn't race an OD boat against one either.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White