Originally Posted by mbounds
Originally Posted by David Ingram
The info I'm looking for isn't there. Please point me to the link that shows me how many times an appeal has been filed against a judge and how many times it's been upheld or overturned.

You're confusing entities here, Dave. Judges don't issue decisions - Protest Committees do. Usually there's more than one judge on a protest committee.

When a decision is appealed, it first goes to the Regional Sailing Association Appeals Committee made up of . . . judges (who may be no better than the original protest committee). That decision can be appealed again - to the US Sailing Appeals Committee where it's reviewed by . . judges (a group currently led by Dave Perry and includes Dick Rose). The buck usually stops there.

But along the way, you should know that "Facts Found" in a protest cannot be appealed (RRS 70.1). Decisions of International Juries cannot be appealed (RRS 70.5). Typically events that determine a qualifier to a higher event have very limited appeal rights (specified in the NOR/SIs and must be approved in advance by US Sailing) (RRS 70.5(a)).

How about this Protest Committee scenario - a very domineering Chief Judge overrules one (or more) subordinate judges in the decision and then the decision is overturned on appeal. Should the subordinate judges be penalized for that? (I've seen this happen more than once.)

Like I said, appeals of decisions made by a protest committee of which a judge is but a part are a poor metric of that judge's capability.

good point.

Jake Kohl