I think the word elite needs to be dropped. Elite sailors are Olympians and world champions, as stated before.

Fair enough! (I think if you win your NA's... you are the elite sailor of that class in North America.)

But what made an Alter Cup champ before was someone who had won in their area through qualifiers then beat others who had done the same at the Alter Cup finals, on EQUAL platforms.

To these 10 elite area sailors we will then add 10 additional elite sailors who are NA champs or at least top 10% from lots of OD classes or other categories.

I'm not sure how this can be achieved equitably while using your own boat.Sounds as if this has turned into a plain old one design regatta, just for a really nice trophy.

Well I agree about the OD regatta and the nice trophy... don't understand the equity bit.

The previous qualifiers could have been won on any platform, thus doing so you may beat the rockstar of the chosen platform (F-16 in this example) on the boat your good on. From the sound of it,with an open invite,now he can show up and whip you on your chartered boat because he knows the platform. In the past he couldn't be there because you BEAT him in the qualifiers.

Ah ha..
Well no... He would have been invited had he won his Class NA's (elite sailor) OR he could have petitioned and the criteria are published on how the petitions were evaluated. Now ... if he did not care... he would not have spent his time or money to participate and use the charter boat.

I must be missing something because this seems to me to diminish the whole process.

Thanks
OK.... fact of life... we are in a BYOB championship period.
What should the championship look like???
We have 2 spin classes. 4 sloop classes and 4 Single handed classes.... All of whom hold NAs.

How would you put together a BYOB championship?

crac.sailregattas.com