I sent this email to the F18 Eastern Area list:

All,

As many of you know, the equipment for the mixed multihull and women's skiff events will be selected this week at the ISAF mid-year meeting in Italy. In March, ISAF conducted an equipment trial for the candidate boats for both events, as well as an evaluation of the suitability of kiteboarding to be included in the Olympic program. Following that event, the evaluation committee published a report from the trials discussing the merits of each boat, and the remarks from the trials participants (sailors nominated from each MNA to attend the event and offer feedback). The reports from the trials can be found at the bottom of the page here: http://www.sailing.org/committees/2009-2012/26218.php

For the mixed multihull, the evaluation panel recommended the Nacra 17 and the AHPC Viper. Of the two the Nacra 17 received higher marks from the trials sailors, and was the first choice of the evaluation panel. For the women's skiff, the evaluation panel recommended the RS 900 and the Mackay FX (49er hull with smaller rig).

Earlier today, the ISAF Events committee held a vote on both the mixed multihull and women's skiff. The winners of that vote are then recommended to the full ISAF council which meets over the next two days. While being recommended by the event committee certainly carries weight, it is not binding and the full council has made surprising decisions in the past.

From the vote this morning, the events committee selected the Mackay FX with a strong majority for the women's skiff. For the mixed multihull, the Viper and Nacra 17 tied, with the committee chairman casting the tie-breaking vote in favor of the Nacra 17. Therefore the event committee recommendations are:

Women's skiff: Mackay FX
Mixed Multihull: Nacra 17

I will be watching the proceedings closely, and will send another update when a final decision has been made. Personally, I feel both the Viper and Nacra 17 are excellent, modern choices that will allow for competitive racing by mixed crews.

Best,
Jeff

USF18 Eastern Area Rep
Nacra Infusion USA 753