I was racing in the days of ... when you needed to HIT the other boat to win the protest ... and ... Starboard tack boats had absolute rights and did not have to avoid a collison ...

I found myself in the position of rounding the leeward mark, exiting on port w/ (2)other boats overlapped and to my port (I was on the outside of the pinwheel effectively ) ... and a boat that rounded ahead of us and went low, came back at us on Starboard ... I WAS PINNED as the (2) boats to my port did not/would not tack ... I was told in the protest that I HAD to immediately tack onto starboard and hit the boat to my port ... I said NO ... I will not hit another boat on purpose!!!! just to win a protest!!! I lost the protest ... but the rule was changed the next year to it's new format ... much better!!!!

... and remember Pete ... the starboard boat gets to determine what is too close and calls the protest!!! Take it to the Protest Room !!! While it's not enjoyable, it's a lot easier then doing fiberglass/gelcoat work ... trust me!!!! And infinitely SAFER!!!

Harry Murphey
TheMightyHobie18/P19MX