Rolf, many years ago I nearly lost a windsurffriend during a storm in wintertime who was wearing a drysuit with fiber/wool undersuit.

He teared his drysuit while we were surfing from the mainland to the first island in the north (Texel). He was more then an hour in very cold water before being washed ashore.

Suffering from Hypothermia he was taken to a hospital and we were fined by the police. It all came to prosecution with an appearance for a court of law.
At that time I was working for a surfmagazine and I had a plea by stating that the sea plays his own judge with regard to risky behavior. Fortunately the judge was impressed by my surf-status and my story.

We were convicted but with "no punishment infliction" (a seldom escape).

Since that day I never wear a drysuit with no wetsuit under it.

Karl, you are quite right with my boring about sailing in wintertime. I know that winters in the northern half of the V.S. can be much more severe then Dutch ones.

My first excuse is that I'm used to do windsurfing in wintertime for 35 years.
And my other excuse is that the clock is ticking for a 67 year old sailor. I have no time anymore for staying indoor a few months and reading books.

How many years (winters) can I still sail a beachcat at sea on my way???????????

Finally may I (half) quote Henri Bergson with his Elan Vital:

" That what interests me is not the man itself, but the flame which consumes him. The crimson line which pierces and passes through him"

Last edited by northsea junkie; 03/25/13 05:35 AM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.