I know I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this, so I'm equipping the Pb jacket here.

Would I have gone out in 35knot winds given the opportunity? I'd probably do it if I was comfortable with the seaworthiness of my vessel. I'd never do it alone.

I wouldn't go out into the ocean probably. If I did, It'd be barely outside the breakers maybe 200 feet off the beach.

I think we all sail for different reasons, personally, I do it for the thrill. Always hanging onto the edge of disaster, teetering on a fine line between break neck speed and being in the drink. You can't get more thrilling than 35 knots. I've done 25-30 before, and I'm more than confident in my skills to handle 35 in "survival mode."

Some of you guys are getting on them for not being adequately prepared. Some of you are pissed off that they went out there in the first place. Point is that all that was lost was a material possession that can be replaced. The coasties got to do what our taxpayer dollars pay for... no harm, no foul in my book. I know its going to be an unpopular opinion, but thats just the way I see it.

Flame away, tell me how young and stupid I am.