Do any of you remember posts on some of the forums about Fleet 448's 2002 Block Island Sail? This was a fleet event, with a good number of boats. The wind was blowing around 15 to 20 that morning, and forcast to increase to 25 to 30. I can't say what it actually was, but I know I would not have taken my own boat out, or gone solo. I crewed on a friends H16, along with his girlfriend. We got out about 4 miles and turned back. Most eventually turned back. Of those that didn't many had parts break, one was nearly wrecked beaching on the island, one was abandoned when the CG removed the crew from the turtled boat, and of the few that made the round trip, none enjoyed it. I did go out for a great joy ride later with a very experienced skipper, and another good sailor. They took turns at the helm. I remember the more experienced guy saying to turn a little, or sheet out a little before launching off the crests of the waves. I felt totally confident, and had one of the most fun rides of my life, flying off 6' seas while on the wire is a real rush! Later back on the beach I overheard the same guy telling someone he was just waiting for the bows to break off! Perhaps thanks to his advice we didn't suffer any damge. Another woman was seperated from her boat and husband, and wasn't picked uo for about a half hour. She told me she thought she was going to die. Fishermen picked her up. All this was with winds almost onshore, and incoming tide. When I was on my joy ride, I thought if the boat did go down we weren't far from shore and could make it in. It was a day I won't forget! My opinion is that the guy who lost his boat should not have been out there. He was not experienced enough, and his crewwas too light and weak; and the woman seperated from her boat should not have tried to go so far out. They had only been sailing a couple of months. Most of the others had a fair idea of what they were doing, and there was a sizeable group to watch out for each other. Our commodore had tried to get the less experienced people to stay closer to shore, but they wouldn't listen. That was my second time crewing in winds like that. Both times we stayed fairly close to shore, and both times were incredably thrilling! I hope to do it again! Brian