Thats F'ing ridiculous. Those helicopters fly around doing jack sh*t every summer day guzzling down copious amounts of jet fuel doing nothing other than getting an aerial view of the thong-clad beauties

That is a truly ingnorant remark.

One of the few positive things to come of this event is the CG got to practice a real rescue close to home and thank God they had guzzled down copious amounts of fuel training on many summer days before they had to go out in marginal conditions. The sailors' choice to go out in big wind is theirs alone, this is true. But by going out alone with only a cell phone and flairs as their safety net implies they were ready to put others lives at risk and that's where I take issue. The thrill of speed and ultra-challenging conditions appeals to many of us. It certainly appeals to me. Memories of taking on those challenges are my most vivid and I'm looking forward to my next opportunity to sail in big wind or ski deep snow in the back country. However, going into any situation like that alone with the expectation of someone else risking their life to save you is the ultimate act of selfishness. It sounds like these sailors used the term "experienced" a little too loosely. Had they been experienced they would not have gone out in that weather so unprepared.

H-20 #896