Originally Posted by thricebitten

So what format (number races/days) do you think the Mossies should use, what would make you interested in racing Mossies more?

I race my Mozzy most Saturdays. Both the clubs I sail at aren't real good with online results or any results really unless you hang around in the bar for a couple of hours afterwards which bores the s..t out of me. I time myself and a couple of the more competitive cats I race against and run my own competition at home on my pc. Its useful for identifying who is improving, that's how i know which VYC yardsticks work and which are pure fantasy.

I wouldn't change that much from the current format of the Nationals but I have given it some thought over the years,
1, The 4 or 5 days we race gives enough time to experience different weather conditions.
2, 10 or more races with flexibility to jam in as many as possible on one day if conditions suit.
3, Only one discard race, rewards consistency.
4, 720 if in the wrong, I don't believe a 360 is enough penalty for a prang or infringement.
5, More windward return races with a leeward gate. Gives more tactical options.
6, If we are going to race triangles, one reach should be on trapeze.
7, Courses should be positioned for good racing, not to cause prangs or to suit the very few spectators that watch.
8, More ocean venues, less lakes. For some reason our Nationals are rarely on the ocean. Sailing in big waves is a skill too.
9, Venues between Melbourne and Adelaide work best.

Most of the above is already done at the nats just with a few tweaks.

I think your multi mode type Nationals would suit the half dozen or so who race with spinnakers AND have access to a crew. Maybe you should try it as a three day event, outside the Nationals, one day for each mode, like an triathlon.

Anyway, that's way more then my 2 cents worth, I don't want to dominate the discussion, Ill step back and leave you guys to it,
Darryn
Bullet