I joined USYRU (now US Sail) back in the mid '90s to get my Level 1 Instructor's card. This was also around the time that USYRU "discovered" multihulls and wind surfers. They went after the alternative sailors with a vengeance claiming they would represent them and they would be treated as equals in the sailing community. My cheek was bulging from the hook that had been set.

I was also doing a lot a race management around this time. USYRU announced a PRO course to be held at the St. Francis YC. I signed up and went. It was a great day of instruction in the very impressive Flag Room. I sat next to an older SFYC member who, after discussing our race management backgrounds, offered me a job working on the SFYC race committee. All in all a really neat day. That is, until it was time to get our certificates.

I filled out the form listing YC affiliation as Hobie Fleet 20, San Jose. It was rejected because I didn't belong to a YC. When asked, the guy running the class stated USYRU rules say no YC, no nothing for you. Buu-bye.

It also became very apparent that USYRU was only trying to sign up the multihull and wind surfers for their dues money. They had no intention of doing anything for them other than some lip service.

When I received my membership renewal I returned it with a letter describing my experience in the class as the reason why I wouldn't be renewing. A few weeks later I got a call from USYRU's "West Coast Representative." He asked what the deal was and I repeated my story about the class. His reply was, "Oh."

"Oh?" I asked.

"I was the guy running the class." he replied.

Even after some further discussion he still wouldn't award me the certificate.

AMF USYRU (US Sail).

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach