Originally Posted by rehmbo
I, for one, think I get it: Its a stepping stone connecting the aspirational pull of AC72 with the reality of getting people on the water.

EXACTLY.....

AND..... the builders and the learn to sail organizations are much better at marketing this level of the sport to newbies then catamaran racing clubs... or yacht clubs.

Many of the learn to sail programs finish up with some kind of race... and are followed up with advanced classes where racing starts to happen... Selling these kinds of boats and teaching sailing to newbies on these kinds of boats is what you want a buisness for... the clients pay money. I sure hope ASA and Hobie cat make money on this.

The existing cat clubs full of volunteers then have to reach out and support those potential racers.

The alternative is to cut back on the racing from our activities and replace racing with learn to sail and beach parties off the public beaches. No club that I know of wants a social club for this purpose much less a business. (Did the social club thing once in my life and never never again)

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 12/10/13 05:42 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com