Were those Waves purchased from a dealer/factory rep.? Were they obtained from a ASA affiliate?

The ASA appears to be a network of privately owned sailing/charter businesses, nationwide. This partnership provides sailing instruction and "certification" to the guy who saw videos of the AC or saw a picture and story in a magazine.

I would not be surprised if they turned over older boats to the local yacht/sailing clubs and community sailing centers when they grow tired (tax write - off under a 501c3?)

Sarasota Sailing Squadron has a number of Waves on their property for their sailing club members to enjoy, but, when it comes racing, the ten or twelve 420s that were doing spin-drills, practicing mark rounding technique for speed will stand a much better chance of climbing up the competitive ladder in any sailing craft than those buyers of that Wave in the photo.

I know some of the ASA guys that run charter and instruction centers along the Gulf Coast. I race PHRF against a couple of them. How many of those guys are going to buy Waves for kids to turn over to a youth program? Wave racing results during the past year have revealed to me that Waves ain't for kids; Optis are.

US Sailing is a very well manned forum which provides motivated, competitive sailors the finest opportunity to build their own empire that can expand for life. Board sailors and catamaran sailors have a similar cultural background; we are "off the Beach Mutants." We enjoy Burger King too much to contribute our resources and talents; therefore, the Hobie Marketing organization will stir the winds of cultural unity with the high performance F 16, F 18, N 17, A Cat sailors until we find a true solution for the future.

The Multihull Council, as we knew it prior to 2011 was already "on the chopping bock" according to JW. The only work we were getting done was sustain the Alter Cup and establish a Safety Committee which I chair. This council has now been re - classed as a committee by the US Sailing BoD. Since the tragic flaw of cultural divide grew stronger, fueled by the catsailing prejudice for the 'new' age of production trimaran owners. Trimaran sailors are still without US Sailing representation.

In 1984 Scott Steele collaborated with Major and Sue Hall to create the original US Boardsailing Team and train for Olympic competition. My son was selected due to his performances in the ranking Division II events. They traveled internationally and by 1988 brought home two Olympic medals. They were supported by the USYRU through networking with the ISAF. Since this was a new Olympic sailing genre for the USOC, they may have been awarded considerable financial support, but Major and Sue always succeeded season by season during the journey.

Major and Sue were doing what Jill and Robbie are doing for catamaran sailing in this country. They are providing quality, high level, athletic instruction for Olympic sailing. With Taylor's container now part of the team's resources, they are inspiring (love their tent at big regattas) and training young and older sailors, alike.

I took gasp at why this topic has become an issue and then thought about the post regarding the ISAF selection for 2020.

The boardsailing faction went independent from US Sailing (USYRU) many years ago and is now represented/ supported by US Sailing, simply because they organized and set up their own business, which the USYRU - USSA tansition gladly accepted.

My brother in law said there are people who talk about it one day and brag about it the next, and then there are people who make it happen. US Sailing expects us to rule ourselves; why have we never considered this? Check out windsurfing under US Sailing, and you will discover a well - manned and dedicated team of doers, and they have done a lot.

Forgive my Monday ramble, but it's rainy, my dog can't go out, and I am growing weary of all this infighting. Are we "Freeloaders" or seamen, dedicated to spawning a new frontier?

We can still protect the future of the Alter Cup as long as the Multihull Championship Committee has a voice on the Championship Committee. Other than that there has been minimal evidence of any effort to even update the old Multihull Council on our website in the two years we have been aground, much less make any room for trimarans and show we can follow by - laws. We have become puppets of our own bad habits.

Last edited by catandahalf; 12/09/13 04:23 PM.