It's a conspiracy.
If all the female crews start taking the helm, they'll be able to point out the skipper's mistakes.
Usually its vice-versa; the skipper is always pointing out when the crew is doing something wrong, yet the crew is less likely to be able to point out what the skipper is doing wrong.
Its a male ego thing that they have to protect.
Okay, I'm joking..

That does not answer your question.

I can say that I don't skipper because I simply don't feel confident enough. I only started sailing (anything) about 4 1/2 years ago.
I started crewing on a Hobie 20, that was the first sail boat, let alone a catamaran, that I had ever been on in my life.

Dennis thinks I should be able to learn on the Tiger.
I don't.
I have sailed it, I have flow a hull, even sailed downwind with the chute up, but I become uncomfortable in quick think situations because I simply do not feel confident in what I am doing.

If I could start off on a smaller boat I think I could do well, because the desire to skipper is there. I would even want to eventual race as well.

I still don't think I answered your question!

Okay. Maybe it is because many women are introduced to sailing later in life, say after meeting their boyfriend or husband, while a good number of male sailors seem to have been sailing for many many years, even as a kid.

Tracie