Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by brucat
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by mikekrantz
I can confirm what Pepin said. At the A-class worlds last Feb. It was determined that mounting the footstrap with the tab on the rear off the hull constituted part of the hull length and violated the class rule regarding hull length. Everyone had to move their strap forward to comply with the class rules. Rudders and their hardware are excluded, provided the leading edge of the rudder is no more than 3" of the transom. If the leading edge of the rudder is more than 3" of the transom, then the rudder is considered part of the hull measure meant, and the trailing edge is used to determine the 18' max hull length.

Mike's Spot on.

Are you agreeing with the interpretation/ decision, or just the narrative of what happened?

Mike

My statement was to the narrative, but I agree with the interpretation also. See Mike Krantz's(#27199) above post. Sailing H-16s you might think what he says above sounds ludicrous, but A catters will do ANYTHING to get an edge,no matter how small, hence the cassettes to make L foils work. That sounded ludicrous until a couple of guys did it.

If you read my prior post, you'd see that I am very open-minded about this matter (the process, not the rule). If this is how the class wants to operate, that's perfectly acceptable. Other folks here (not H16 sailors, BTW) seemed to disagree with the call. I simply provided info on how this should be handled if there was a lingering dispute.

It would probably help you to stop dismissing everything I say as a liberal H16 sailor who couldn't possibly understand anything. The Hobie class rules have a "no-loophole" clause, which I personally take more seriously than others I have observed. For example, running trap shock lines through a grommet in the tramp wasn't specifically allowed, but was being done locally before the factory started building them that way. To me, it wasn't spelled out and shouldn't have been done without a rule change; others thought it was no big deal because it didn't make the boat faster. They said it was done to keep the traps separated, therefore making maneuvers easier. My point was, if there wasn't an advantage, why were all the top guys doing it? Again, I have no problem with a rule change, but it needs to be done properly, and until it is, loopholes should be treated as the enemy.

Mike