Originally Posted by brucat
OK, but you'd obviously want those to be consistent between events and juries, so it behooves the class to publish the official interpretations (A-class topic).

In the F18 class rules, there is a loophole clause. Foot straps are listed as optional hull fittings, with no discussion on where they could be placed.

So, for the F18s, I would say they must be attached to the hull (including the transom which is part of the hull), would not be included in a length measurement (as they are fittings and the ERS says not to measure fittings as part of hull length), but cannot be added to the rudder (since they are listed as hull fittings and loopholes are not allowed).

I'd even venture to say that the F18 rules are prescriptive and clear enough to not need an official, documented, interpretation.

Mike

Oh, your right. I hadn't thought of "interpretation" in that context. Is the opinion of one measurer either a ruling or interpretation? What's the correct term?

Good point on the F18 foot strap rudder head connection. I had meant that in the case of the A-cat where the foot strap isn't refered to at all but the rudder is excluded from the hull measurement (as long as it's width is within a specific width).

Jake Kohl