Mike Grandfield's letter to the US Fleet
followed by Roland Gabler's point of view.

Dear All,

Although I have great respect for Roland, I believe that he has NOT given you good advice regarding the carbon mast ballot proposal.

Here are the reasons why:

1). THE PROBLEMS OF THE FINN SAILORS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CARBON MAST PROPOSAL IN FRONT OF TORNADO SAILORS.

- The Tornado ballot proposal includes both pricing and price guarantees. The guaranteed price is 40-50% more than the current Marstrom aluminium mast.

- The Finn mast is not a strict one-design mast. It is customized for each sailor.

- The Tornado carbon mast is a strict one-design, with very precise tolerances; and the design will be transferred to ISAF to protect the class and ensure that other builders can be licensed.

- The problems of Finn mast breakage are not relevant; the proposed Tornado carbon mast was designed for strength and durability, and Marstrom has built over 3000 carbon masts.

2). The aluminium masts have never been equal for all TORNADO sailors; and by next year no one WILL believe that they are TRULY one-design.

- There are 5 flexibility groupings of the current Marstrom masts. Only a few top sailors find really good masts, most of the fleet gets average masts.

- Most current Marstrom masts bend differently to port than to starboard. How many sailors have noticed that they point better on one tack than the other?

- Today, there are commercially available aluminium masts from Marstrom. Hobie, Nacra, and soon from Swiss Carbon; and there is a privately developed mast that was designed the UK with funds from the RYA - this mast has been used at Hyeres and SPA, but it is not commercially available.

- There are at least 2 additional mast designs that could be built if we stay with aluminium.

- So, we will have between 5-7 different aluminium masts. Each one has a different die and different cross-section; BUT each of these measures in as a LEGAL Tornado mast.

- Is that ONE DESIGN? NO!

- If any of the new designs are better than the current Marstrom aluminium mast, then EVERYONE will have to buy a new mast.

- If the RYA mast is the best, but not commercially available, then EVERYONE will complain that it isn’t fair and could easily spend a year or more trying to develop a mast that is competitive.

- If we keep the aluminium mast, we could easily become LESS one-design than ever before.

- There is no price protection with aluminium. A higher performance mast could easily be as expensive as a carbon mast.

- ONLY FULLY FUNDED TEAMS WILL BE ABLE TO AFFORD THE COST OF TESTING NEW ALUMINIUM MASTS AND THE SAILS THAT MATCH THEM.

3). THE REASONS TO CONSIDER THE CARBON MAST ARE NOT “LIGHTER WEIGHT” or “HIGHER PERFORMANCE”

- The Marstrom aluminium mast is not strong enough; Marstrom is selling over 3 times as many masts as new boats! The fleet has spent over ½ MILLION EUROS (Before VAT!) on spare and replacement aluminium masts since the new rig was introduced.

- The Marstrom aluminium Masts are not equal in performance; by next year there will be at least 5 different aluminium masts to choose from.

- The reasons to choose between aluminium and carbon are:

o Strength

o Safety

o Equal Performance

o No advantage to teams with bigger budgets

4). I DON’T WANT TO SPEND MONEY ON A NEW MAST; I STILL HAVEN’T BROKEN THE ONE I BOUGHT IN 1998.

- But, by next year there will be a better carbon mast or a better aluminium mast.

- In 2005, we will all have to consider buying a new mast to remain competitive.

- I believe that the carbon mast ballot item is a very good proposal and the best way to provide a level playing field.

- I’d be excited to sail with a new carbon mast; but I’d be frustrated and angry to have to buy a new aluminium mast instead.

For many years the Tornado fleet has been protected because all of the boats and masts came from Marstrom. THAT TIME IS OVER. The real choice is a one-design carbon mast or a new “arms race” to build a better aluminium mast. It is unrealistic to think that nothing will change.

Clearly, the RYA has already committed to the new aluminium mast effort. SOME OF YOU WILL PROBABLY RACE WITH IT OR AGAINST IT IN ATHENS.

The carbon mast ballot item is your opportunity to choose the future you want for the class. I hope you choose wisely.

Regards,

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Roland Gäbler [mailto:roland.gaebler@sport.tdcadsl.dk]
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 7:50 AM
To: [email]yann.guichard@wanadoo.fr;[/email] Hugh Styles; Hugo Rocha; [email]iorpas@yahoo.gr;[/email] Jim Young; John Forbes; John Lovell USA 808; [email]Jpolgar@aol.com;[/email] Jürgen Jentsch; Kristof Koch; [email]mail@sailcenter.se;[/email] Marström AB; [email]mgrandfield@sailingwind.com;[/email] Mitch Booth; Niko Mittelmeier; [email]obackes@aol.com;[/email] Nuno Barreto; [email]p.wetzig@gmx.de;[/email] P. Egger; Patricia Kirschner Ross; Patricia Tornado; Patrick Egger; Philip Wetzig; [email]pres@tornado.org;[/email] Ralph Mittelmeier; [email]ramirami@t-online.de;[/email] Sail Center Per Wearn; Sebastian Moser; [email]sec@tornado.org;[/email] slange; [email]tornado@topica.com;[/email] Wolfgang Heinemann; Will, Fabian; [email]will.howden@virgin.net;[/email] [email]xavier-revil@wanadoo.fr;[/email] Aaron McIntosh; Aaron McIntosh; Guenter Moertl; [email]GunnarStruckmann@aol.com;[/email] [email]funinthesun@juno.com;[/email] Ullman Sails - GZ S.r.l.
Cc: Jürgen Tiemann; Darren Bundock; BSG Sports
Subject: Carbon Mast
Importance: High

Dear Tornado Friends,

just some days ago I had some nice talking with some Finn Sailors in Athen about their change to the carbon mast some years ago.

- 4-6 times more expensive (and the mastbuilders said before it will cost just the half more) ha, ha, ha, ha.....

- A carbon Finn Mast cost 2.800-3.500.- euros now !!!! ask your national finnsailor

- A Aluminuim Mast was 700-800.- euros !!!!

How much we must pay to make our boat 8 KG ligther? My Finn Friend sayed, he can finance a new house with all the money he spend in carbon masts last years. Hy guys, wake up................

Security. Safe Sailing? We are the Formula one of sailing. Who wants to go save with this boat. Just not go out when it blows 30knots plus offshore.

Do you think if you open to much the sheet under spinnacker what the carbon mast will not brake? The Finnclass broke more mast than ever in the last years!

Each Finnsailor has 3-6 Mast plus 3-6 light cloth sails. Also forget the cubenfibre sails, they are shrinking.

Instead of getting more milliseconds of speed, we should not forget the think about the youth. How they should finance the new masts? Plus Spinnackers, Plus Cuben Fibre Sails?????????

Do you think only Sail Center of Sweden will make the mast? Many others will come.

I can easy make each mast different. What a nice and expensive mixture???

One Question: How much money you spend in Spinnacker last 3 years? Worth one Car? Ok, we have max fun with our spinnacker. Yes, yes, yes we enjoy........But do we get some much fun-factor with the carbon mast?

Lets concentrate to get back on our One-Design and Olympic Idea.

If you want go faster, buy the M20

I donnot want to talk about the carbon mast. I just wrote my way. Please do not answer this mail. Just answer the ballot and SAIL FOR FUN

See you in Athen. Cheers,

Rolando

crac.sailregattas.com