Here is the post in question

Tornado New Rules von Mitch Booth

Autor: Flippo
Datum: 09.09.04 12:43

Dear Tornado Sailors,

Finally, after 5 months of full on sailing I now have a chance to comment on the ballot and its impact.

The pre-text to the ballot form and so called intention of what the ballot was trying to achieve is far from what the class started as many years ago.

The class has always allowed and still does permit owner builders to build 1 boat a year for their own use. Many sailors from all levels have exercised this right to make part or full boats. We have made over the years hulls, rudders, centerboards, sails, booms and even masts.

I am a strong supporter of the one design concept however, there is a big difference between "one design "and "one manufacturer". This whole idea that no sailor should be able to use something that is not commercially available to other sailors is totally against the spirit of the class rules. We have strict tolerances, materials and rules to abide by and we can make them even tighter if we want.

The point I am trying to make is if the class wants to go towards the commercially available and same equipment for all sailors then we have to scrap the owner builder rule and change the class to a "manufacturer supplied only" rule just like Hobie or Nacra. Personally I think this would damage the future of the class and it would lose its edge as the leading beach cat.

There are two major flaws I find in the ballot.

Firstly, under the current rules 3, d, an amateur builder is allowed to build a boat a year for his own use. This of course includes a mast if he wishes.

Secondly, the rule 17b, 1 and 2 talks about "Schedule A- approved sailcloth" However there is no wording as to the criteria , method or persons to create this list. We have earlier this year gone through a rule interpretation on spinnaker cloth and it was clear from ISAF that no matter how much supporting correspondence as to the intention they would ONLY rely on the wording of the rule. I believe the new rule is not enforceable in its current form.

Good Sailing,

Mitch Booth

Auf diesen Beitrag antworten

Re: Tornado New Rules von Bundy

Autor: Flippo
Datum: 09.09.04 12:45

I agree that the class should remain one design and not one manufacture to encourage a little bit of development. However, the class must put in place some steps to prevent the class becoming elitist.

The circumstances have changed over the years since the class started many years ago, now many teams are professional sailors, some MNA's are pouring in exorbitant amounts of money and the amount of sponsorship money in the class has risen substancially. Something needs to be done to level the playing field to low budget teams.

I believe the class has taken some positive steps in this direction.

I don’t see it damaging as at this stage the carbon mast is the only part to be strict one design and one manufacture. If it passes the ballot with a greater than 2/3 majority then it is what the class is wanting.

You are correct that a amateur builder can still build one mast a year for his own use. Only 1 not a practice one and then a real one. I believe it must also come out of an ISAF certified mould as well.

I am unclear on the wording of the new 17b, as I do not have it here with me. But for sure it needs to have clear guidelines for selection of material to get approval to be listed on "schedule A".

I have confidence that the ISAF will approve something that is fair and binding.

Regards
Bundy