Hi Rolf,
I know Marstrom tries to do his very best and his very best is very good. That is why there is only one Tornado manufacturer now. He is not in the extrusion business. Some company extrudes masts for him. Marstrom is not in control of the mast extrusion quality although he can reject masts upon inspection.
Aluminum shapes, tubes,angles,flat bar,T bar, all kinds of special shapes are extruded all around the world and done so very consistently. The aluminum Tornado mast should be no exception.
I remember from my SC days, initially we had a problem breaking the mast extrusion die at the part that formed the sailtrack. A diemaker advised a slight change in the internal shape of the track and no more breakage of dies. There is a little art in the die making and extrusion business/process.
I remember reading not too long ago about a new aluminum alloy that is superior to the 6061T-6 aluminum alloy commonly used for sailboat masts. It is both stronger and lighter in weight. It is used in the commercial aircraft business, airliners, and is making a significant increase in aircraft range. If the Tornado class is going to make a change, this new alloy should be investigated for all their extrusions.
The situation of the Finn class carbon masts is scary. I'm sure before they started building carbon masts, the situation was thoroughly investigated and the conclusion was that the carbon mast was the best answer. Now the class has a big mess on its hands. I'm sorry to learn this. It hurts the Finn class and Olympic sailing.
Bill