>>But the demographics I'm interrested in, is the the large number of females who dont have babies. If you compare the numbers, you will se that the number of children born pr. female today is a lot less then 30 years ago. In other words, todays female (as a trend) dont want children, but wants to live free and have a good time instead (as we males have always wanted..)

I don't buy that, sorry. I've seen quite a few career women by now who got hitch up at 30 sometimes and do the children thing right before it is too late. Like I said ; women are hard pressed to ignore their genetic imprint just as the men are because I see many men do the same as well. Also the fact that the birthrate per women is lower than say 30 years ago doesn't have to be explained by "Women don't want children" it is just as easily explained by "women want less children".

Of course I'm now about to state a very personal opinion so bear with me. I simply do not believe for a second that todays women want to have NO children, live free and just have a good time instead. Just as much as I don't think men want this in general as well. Sure, we all go to or went to rave parties, did do a bit of the free love thing and what not. But at the end of the reproduction age most of us still get into the game quickly before it is too late. At least the majority still does. Also our western culture highlights career and the gethering of wealth or power as the pinnacle of a rewarding life. But then again our culture idolize skinny little supermodels as well and last time I checked 85 % of the women do not look like that on the streets either. There is a profound difference between what is very prominant in the culture and what is really done or experienced.

One more point : "but wants to live free and have a good time instead (as we males have always wanted..)" for some reason the men really never took to this life en masse; did they ?

Afterall, our men hood is a much defined by the women and children as women hood is in relation to men and children; even though it is different in the details. Out standing as aging men is to a large extend derived from our family standing. A single old men still is regarded a dirty old geezer; not much romance there. And an old single lady is still regarded as an old spinner. Even by the young folk.

>>The question is, are we willing to change our lifestyle ? Nothing indicates that as far as I can see, the only changes I see are for the worse..

Is is going to happen anyway, during my studies I was very interested in the energy problem and it was already understood at that time that the Energy crisis (no more easy accessable oil) will give our societies a harsh shcok eventually. We have failed to modify our societies and now it is too late to soften the blow. With China taken up bigger and bigger shares of the oil production the western societies will over the next 25 years experience increasing and increasing energy prices. Ergo our current society is not going to survive as it is for another generation anyway. But as always we'll survive as a people and adapt to the changing reality.

Maybe it is even past our peak time for us and we will decrease in importance and hand the scepter to another emerging people and emerging empire/culture. Asia and China are the most likely candidate with Brazil and parts of latin america as good seconds. And our societies will maybe go the way of our demographics. Turn grey, old and tired and wither away unable to keep up with the new kid on the block.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands