Sail6000 thank you, you picked up right where my thought processes are. The more you include in the beginning the more voices have an opportunity to direct the future.
<br>
<br>We need more "bring what you got -- all are welcome" and less "well your not legal here and not right there and your boat does not have the right logo". I have never said I want to stop one design racing. More directly I want to give people options in what they want to do. Picture a regatta that you can attend and if its blowing like stink you can race one design (where you feel your more competitive) or if its not you can race "Formula" (where you feel your more competitive). Will it give race organizers a headache? No, because there will be more boats on the water. If we impliment the combined weight rule. I truly believe we can bring in some good talent from the monohull side of the sport. THere are alot of larger sailor who just can't compete against smaller teams and therefore see no reason to come and try. If I (at 200lbs) can bring in a monohuller (at 180 lbs) and we can compete against another boat straight up. Then more than likely we've hooked another convert. When I move up or on to another boat. More than likely I'll sell the boat to my buddy(crew) and extend the love of our sport. Also, the old boat will have some value over a few grand (due to the war between hobie and PC). Breathing new life in to an older design while expanding our numbers thats what it is all about.
<br>
<br>When new lighter boats come out (in a few years) I'll be looking for heavier crew to stay "formula" But also, so will the lighter teams. Which will force those teams to find some "meat" in order to stay formula. Think of it as a recruiting arms race. You have to bring in someone rather than open your wallet to be competive (at the highest levels). Will it choke out the husband - wife teams? No. THey still have options heavier boat, one design, racing in lighter conditions or really a reason to add a few lbs at hoiday time (just kidding). Really, it opens the sport up much more than it closes it. Also, it will bring alot of new ideas as people experiment with new ideas.
<br>
<br>Should racks be legal? I'm really tossed up on that one. Basically, if you make it legal for one you have to make it legal for all. The ideas of formula maximums are to allow what is best for each team. If you let someone cheat around and give them an advantage then someone crys foul. Remember that the majority of the winds are light in the US. So it is very few minutes that righting moment becomes an issue. And in those minutes its the ability to control the sail not hang the weight that makes a difference between first and last.
<br>
<br>Thanks.
<br>
<br>When should we all vote on this issue??
<br>
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
3962- (125 downloads)