Aaron, Carl, Mark et al:

The race is definitely on! Talked to Chuck last week here at Tybee. They are working out some of the checkpoints as the Hurricanes did some damage to a few of the checkpoint hotels that will not be repaired in time for the race. They already have the alternate sites picked out and are putting together the details.

I know the press coverage will be better this year... can't say why, but expect an announcement soon. Something good for everyone... pro and amateur teams alike.

Aaron...Carl is spot on regarding ground crew. It is critical to have a cohesive team that is knowledgeable and gets along if you expect to do well. The race is a blast, but definitely a grind for all involved. Don't scrimp on ground crew accomadations or food. Two weeks of 4 - 5 people to a room with one toilet and one shower gets old long before the finish.

Aaron, The boat to use is the Nacra 20 and all the details can be found at nacraclass.com. Add chicken lines, storage pockets to the tramp, rake the mast back more than buoy racing and haul butt up the coast. Have excellent spray gear and top of the line safety gear (epirb, vhf, gps, cell phone, rescue knife, mirror, flashlight, strobe, etc.). A lot of guys wear dry suits and they are virtually a necessity from Tybee North that time of year though many wear them in Florida also. I'm trying out a Neil Pryde semi-dry wetsuit this winter that uses the latest surf and kiteboarding technology...super warm 5/3 and super stretch... and I'm used to wearing an Oneill Zen which is top of the line. I wore a sleeveless Oneill shorty under Musto spray gear the last Tybee 500 and it worked well in all temp ranges.

Good luck to all this year and God willing... Rob and I will be on the line in May with you.

Merry Christmas,

Jim Stone
Tybee Island
Team Soul Surfer