Carl,
<br>
<br>I see the problems. That is why I have bent to your side of the arguement regarding combined weight. ALthough I do think it is a neat concept. Sometimes not every concept is practicle.
<br>
<br>I use the word concept because iF20 is a concept, not reality.
<br>You make solid arguements about one design formats also. The only thing that is wrong with one design is the one source one manufacturer restraints and the politics that become intolerable.
<br>
<br>Americas cup is one design racing with multiple manufacturers and sources. It is the rules that make it what it is. As you have stated the devil is in the details to which I agree.
<br>
<br>My only arguments come to light when you shift the rules too far in one direction or the other. IE ultra light boats or crews and then allow more sail area (downwind) to off set this shift in thought processes. Can a lighter boat be built? YES! But, at what cost? If you start rules that include the majority of manufactured boats (weighing from 390-420 lbs) that have boats already sailing with existing support networks (dealers, suppliers, and fleets) THen you have a foundation to build from complete with a following. Will Hobie one design racing go away? NO. Do we want it to? NO. If we look at history. Performance cat has consistantly changed their boats and effectively killed tight racing that the Hobie crowd enjoys. Yet Hobie has so tightly controled their classes that it is prohibitive to new thoughts. So basically, you have two groups both getting smaller everyday. The techies and the traditionalists. What the NAF20 class should do is try and repair this fracture using both of these manufacturers existing designs and build a set of rules that makes it tolerable for new sailors (new, converts, and reinfrancised) to come and enjoy what is left while building a new house on existing foundations.
<br>
<br>When you look at formula racing you have to consider the other classes (F16, F18 and F20). Each class as a niche for a certain type of sailor. F20 should be the biggest baddest, fastest that EVERYONE can compete on. If your smaller and can't hang go sail the F18, if you can't hang there go sail F16. If you can't hang on those go RC! (just kidding). Trying to make the F20 class set for Husband/Wife teams is not logical. That is the target market of the F18 crowd. F20 should be the "fighter pilot" crowd --loud, proud, crazy and awesome to watch. You keep bringing up the Worrell -- the worrell is not set up for the average sailor and neither should F20. F20 should be the "winston cup" series of beach cat sailing. THe last stop inthe "cheap" world of sailing. $18k is cheap for a performance boat the next step is the $30K crowd of carbon sc22-27's.
<br>
<br>This last stop is our best marketing tool. Targeting the "crazy" crowd is our niche and to step up the rules is approporiate. One of the strongest draws to the Worrell is its danger, the fact that not everyone can run it or should and the fact that not everyone finishes. It is drama. In part so should the F20 class.
<br>
<br>F20 boats should draw people to them. Just like the first spinnaker boats use to do at cat regattas. Make people dream, wifes nervous and men slaivate. This drama is the draw of the Class not, the few light boats but the "hot rods" that everyone can afford. One you know and can sail but, just like a 60's muscle car will bite you if you don't respect it.
<br>
<br>Thats why I propose rules of
<br>boat weight minimum -- 390 (for now -- change them in a few years)
<br>Crew weight minimum -- 350 lbs
<br>max corrector weight (for boat or crew) 45 lbs
<br>Max sail area 550lbs (for all sailors)
<br>Open sail format (can buy mast/sails from any shop - that is a NAF20 approved shop)
<br>Sails must conform to basic measurements (TBD)
<br>Sailmakers must affix NAF20 sticker to sails and sign affidavit to their "legal" nature.
<br>Minimum of five boats manufactured for homoglation to make them class legal.
<br>Snuffer legal -- actually prefered
<br>
<br>Steve<br><br>

Attached Files
4142- (131 downloads)